Where we started mother Teresa's ward for sick and dying Americans. All of us got sick in one way or another and were all in a dormitory room with only one bathroom.I was one of the ones who got sick the worst and barely left the room for a few days. I survived on bread, rice, oranges and chi for the week we were there. Even after we left I was still sick and have had a tough battle with India for a good part of my time here. We were in Sarnath in the middle of February and I'm only really seeing how much weight I've lost now. Sadly even my yoga pants are a bit too loose for me. But I might just gain in all back by the time I'm back in the states.
While there we met a wonderful man named Dr. Jain. He has started schools in the surrounding areas for the poor locals. Sadly the days that the group went to the school I was laying in bed. But I did get to talk to him and learn about his schools and it sounds like he is doing wonderful work.
Also for anyone who knows their Buddhist history, sarnath is where Buddha gave his first talk, and many temples were built there. We were able to see the ruins of those temples and go to a nearby museum with many of the artifacts from them.
Other fun note. On the day we went to the ruins I had thought that I could handle some sprite and plain potato chips, boy was I wrong. Puking lime green liquid in the ditch with countless Indians staring is quite the experience. One that I will hopefully never experience again, but who knows what will happen the next time I come to India.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment